The Growth of a Modern City (1900-present)

Distance: 21.4 miles
Driving Time: 50 minutes

What to expect: This tour will take us from Titusville’s downtown commercial district as it was rebuilt at the beginning of the twentieth century, to the elegant homes of the city’s civic leaders and prominent businessmen built along Indian River Avenue and Riverside Drive. It will then head to the northwestern suburbs of the city where Titusville’s links to the rest of the world were expanded with the advent of aviation and the increasingly industrialized harvesting of its rich citrus groves. The tour concludes with a museum and historical site that reflect on the struggle for civil rights in Brevard County and its advancement over the years.

You should figure on spending extra time exploring the shops in the historic commercial district and visiting the North Brevard Historical Museum. For those interested in hiking, the Enchanted Forest Sanctuary has extensive, well-marked trails and a visitor’s center, where you can easily spend several hours.

You should also plan some time for a visit to the museum at the Moore Center in Mims. You may want to plan a full day for this tour— or break it up into shorter segments to enjoy the wide range of historical and natural resources it covers. Restrooms and other visitor facilities are noted in the brief descriptions of the tour stops below.

Titusville FEC Railroad Station

The establishment of Titusville as a regular stop on Henry Flagler’s Florida East Coast (FEC) Railroad in 1893 inaugurated a new era for the city. Rail connections to Northeast and Midwest cities brought an ever-increasing flood of wintertime…

The Hill Grocery and Apartments

In the heyday of early twentieth-century train travel, the Hill Grocery and Apartments, conveniently located near the train station, provided food and accommodation for arriving passengers. The grocery, at the corner of Julia St. and Wilson Ave, was…

Emma Parrish Theater

Originally built in 1905 as a saloon and hotel, this structure was refurbished in the following decade and renamed the Magnolia Hotel and Theater, which presented silent films and vaudeville shows. In the 1930s and ‘40s, it showed feature films.…

The Duren Building

This masonry vernacular commercial building, showing the influence of the Spanish Revival style on the top of its façade, was built by George F. Duren who had resided in LaGrange. He operated a grocery in this building with his brother-in-law, Arthur…

Old Titusville Post Office

This brick vernacular commercial building was built in 1926 by George Scobie, founder of the Scobie Fishing Company, whose warehouses were located nearby at the city pie. It housed the post office, a law office and a drug store until it was taken…

Van Croix Theater

Built in 1926 for Arthur Van Croix, a Melbourne silent movie theater owner and real estate investor, this multipurpose structure butted George Scobie's Old Post Office building. It contained a 1,000 seat theater, three retail stores on the first…

Stewart's Cash Store

This flat-roofed, brick vernacular store was built in 1913 on a busy section of Main Street leading to the Scobie fish warehouses and the city pier. A.A. Stewart also served for many years as Clerk of the Brevard County Court.

Pirtle's Central Garage

This rare Mission Revival structure was constructed in 1930 for Eugene B. Pirtle as the first Chevrolet dealership in Titusville. It closed a decade later when World War II put a halt to new car manufacturing and sales. In 1945, at the war's…

Bank of Titusville and Trust Company

This white Neo-Classical Revival building at the corner of Main St. and South Washington Ave. is one of the most striking architectural elements in the commercial district. Its style contrasts sharply with the dominant Spanish Revival style of the…

North Brevard Historical Museum

Built on the site of E.L. Brady’s Grocery Store that was destroyed in the 1895 fire, this 1910 commercial vernacular building now houses exhibits of Titusville’s history. The building’s own history is long and varied. E. L. Brady briefly leased the…

Western Union Telegraph Office

This small building was also built in 1910 for E.L. Brady, who leased it to Western Union for many years. It was the site of an early telegraph relay station between Jacksonville and Miami. This building is now part of the North Brevard Historical…

Titusville Hardware Store

Built around 1913 for the Titusville Hardware Store, owned by H. P. Jepson, the interior of this building retains its original tin ceiling and heart pine floor. Before the 1895 fire, it had been the site of Oliver & Budge Hardware & Lumber.…

O'Flannigan Furniture

Since its construction around 1910, this brick mercantile building has been occupied by several retail stores including The Music Shop, Jepson Furniture, W.B. Knox Clothing & Men’s Furnishings Store, and, after World War II by O'Flannigan…

The Spell Building

Built in 1912 for Dr. J. C. Spell, the first licensed pharmacist to operate in Titusville, this two-story masonry vernacular building was originally the location of the Banner Drug Store. Other rooms and second floor offices were leased to various…

The Walker Hotel and Apartment Building

Perhaps the most imposing building in the commercial district, this Spanish Colonial Revival structure was built in 1924-5 for George Walker, a Miami businessman. Designed by the architect Martin L. Hampton of the Miami-based firm of Hampton-Ehman,…

Florida Power & Light Company

This two-story masonry vernacular commercial building in the Spanish Revival style was constructed in 1910. In 1926, the first floor of the building was used by the Florida Power & Light Company for the sale of electrical supplies. The second…

The Pritchard Building

As one of the only commercial district buildings to survive the 1895 fire, undoubtedly due to its masonry construction, the Pritchard Building was extensively remodeled in 1926. The original brick exterior was stuccoed and the curvilinear parapet was…

The Addison-Ellis Canal

About 200 feet along the trail from the visitor’s center of the Enchanted Forest Sanctuary, you can see the evidence of an ambitious business undertaking that went terribly wrong. In 1911, businessmen Edgar W. Ellis and J. H. Beckwith put together a…

Norwood House

This frame vernacular house typifies an architectural style popular during the Florida Land Boom years. Construction began in 1895 and completed by 1920. This structure first appeared on municipal maps as a two-story house with a porch wrapping…

Carter House

The home of retired army general and Titusville mayor Ellerbe W. Carter was built around 1915 It typifies the “Cracker” vernacular style of bungalow of which few examples remain. The house featured open porches extending the length of the east and…

Arthur Dunn Airpark

Titusville’s first aviation center, the Arthur Dunn Airpark, was established as a county airport in 1927. It was originally a 45-acre property leased to Brevard County by three local families to be used as an emergency landing strip for the US…

Nevins Fruit Company Packing Plant

This imposing structure once served as the Titusville area’s largest citrus processing and packing plant, and is evidence of the industrial scale that grove production reached during the twentieth century. The packing floor covered 31,474 square…

Harry T. and Harriet V. Moore Cultural Center and Museum

The former homesite of Brevard County civil rights martyrs Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore, has become an center for education and reflection on civil rights. The 5,000 square foot facility house artifacts and historical information about the…