Sams House

A glimpse at the life of Brevard County pioneers

Clearing the thick hammocks of the Indian River shore, the Sams family eventually became prominent citrus growers and civic leaders

This site focuses on the hardships and achievements of the era of early American settlement. The one-story house on the site is reportedly the oldest standing home in Brevard County, built originally by the pioneering Sams family in Eau Gallie in 1875 and floated up the Indian River to its present location in 1878. It now houses a small museum that traces the history of the site from the prehistoric era to pioneer days. Its interactive exhibits of documents, memorabilia, and farm tools vividly brings the story of the Sams family to life. The larger white frame house, which now serves as the visitor’s center, was constructed by the Sams family in 1888. Don’t miss the historical garden path just beyond the parking lot, where you will see the incredible variety of fruits, vegetables, and medicinal herbs that were grown by the pioneers in this area’s rich soil.


Martha “Pat” Woelk on the settlement of her great-grandfather John H. Sams and his family on the Indian River Excerpts from an oral history interview for the Brevard County Historical Commission conducted by Bob Gross, November 14, 1993 Source:


A view towards the houses of the Sams family
A view towards the houses of the Sams family Source: Photo: Coherit Associates
The first Sams House, built in 1875
The first Sams House, built in 1875 Source: Photo: Coherit Associates
John H. Sams (1839-1924)
John H. Sams (1839-1924) sitting with his great-granddaughter on the steps of his earliest house. Source:
Sarah Stanyarne Sams (1840-1902)
Sarah Stanyarne Sams (1840-1902) Source: Dataw Historic Foundation
The later Sams House, built in 1888
The later Sams House, built in 1888 Source: Photo: Coherit Associates


6195 N. Tropical Trail, Merritt Island, FL 32953 | Trail Hours: October through April: 7:00 AM - 6:00 pm, May through September: 7:00 AM - 8:00 pm Admission: Free Amenities: Parking, visitor’s center, gift shop, museum, restrooms, marked hiking trails, open-air exhibits Phone: (321) 449-4720


“Sams House,” Explore Historic Titusville FL, accessed June 23, 2024,