The sandy promontory along the western bank of the Indian River was always a landmark to passing canoes and ships. It was destined to become a convenient landing place and steadily growing trading center
This popular recreation area on a 30-acre site extending out into the Indian River was the original core of the City of Titusville. During the Civil War, Confederate forces used the sandy promontory as a salt works and after the war, a group of British investors established the “Florida Provision Company” here to ship fruits, vegetables, and seafood harvested by the early settlers of LaGrange and Merritt Island to markets on the East Coast. A turning point in Sand Point’s history came in 1868, when Mary Hopkins Titus, the wealthy wife of the city’s founder, Colonel Henry T. Titus, purchased 73.3 acres at Sand Point from the then-defunct Florida Provision Company. The Titus family arrived in the same year, with the Colonel opening a sawmill and a store for provisions. Before long he established regular mule team service from Sand Point to Enterprise in the St. Johns River watershed, bringing new settlers, cargo, and mail. The settlement prospered and became a well-known stop for steamers sailing up and down the Indian River. In 1873, the community’s name was officially changed to “Titusville.” Nothing remains of the original settlement, but Sand Point Park remains a favorite spot for local residents to enjoy the views of the Indian River and the park’s many recreational facilities.