Even before the Civil War, settlers began to arrive here, gradually building a resilient, self-sufficient community
The church and cemetery at LaGrange are a true embodiment of that community’s heritage as the first pioneer settlement in the Titusville area. The present church, constructed in 1894 in the Carpenter Gothic Revival style, replaced earlier church structures, which served as the community center and school. The earliest church built on the site was a log structure, constructed in 1869. It was the first church established along the east coast of Florida between New Smyrna and Key West. The present church’s modest pine interior and stained-glass windows commemorate the founding families of the community. Adjacent to the church is a historic cemetery in which members of many of the founding families are buried, as well as prominent people from Titusville and its surroundings, including the grave of Col. Henry C. Titus, after whom the town was named. Immediately to the north is a separate cemetery section reserved for burials of African American citizens of the area, most notably the civil rights activists Harry T. and Harriette V. Moore (see Tour 3). The quiet, tree-shaded cemetery is worth exploring for its many historic markers and family grave plots.